Library reopening information
The following branches are now open:
• Fountainbridge Library - is currently closed due to its use as a Covid-19 Asymptomatic Testing Centre, but will reopen on Tuesday 24 August
• Gilmerton Library - is currently closed due to its use as a Covid-19 Asymptomatic Testing Centre, but will reopen on Tuesday 17 August
• Piershill Library - is currently closed due to its use as a Covid-19 Asymptomatic Testing Centre, but will reopen Wednesday 11 August
• a mobile library at Ratho
• Westerhailes Library - is currently closed due to its use as a Covid-19 Asymptomatic Testing Centre, but will reopen on Wednesday 11 August
The following Libraries are closed until the end of October due to use as Covid-19 Test Centres:
Initially, services will be restricted with numbers within buildings being limited and social distancing measures in place. Face coverings are mandatory in libraries.
- browse and borrow books
- join the library
- use a public computer
- book a study space (Central Library, Reference Library only)
- apply for a National Entitlement Card (bus pass)
- collect hearing aid batteries
No need to book to:
- return your books
- pick up Hey Girls sanitary products
Read our reopening frequently asked questions for further details of how services will work in our reopened libraries.
Edinburgh Libraries are supporting NHS Scotland’s Test and Protect. To stop the spread of Coronavirus we’ll record your name, contact telephone number, date of your visit, time of arrival and departure. We have a lawful basis to process your information. Contacting people who might have been exposed to coronavirus is an important step in stopping the spread. Your information will be held securely, controlled by City of Edinburgh Libraries and will be destroyed after 21 days. Your information will only be used if requested by NHS Scotland or statutory partners. You have the right to have your data erased or corrected. For the full Collection of Data Privacy Notice, visit gov.scot/contact-tracing-privacy-notice.
To help stop the spread in Edinburgh, NHS Lothian is using some of our libraries as community covid-19 test centres - Leith Library, Newington Library, Sighthill Library at Gate 55 and Oxgangs Library won’t be open until the end of October. We’re working on getting other libraries open safely and will let you know when they are.
We appreciate your support and look forward to welcoming you back.
Libraries update 5 August 2021