You can use the PressReader app on Apple, Android, Windows or some Kindle Fire mobile devices (tablet, smart phone or app enabled laptop).
1. Install the PressReader app (available from your App Store).
NB. The Kindle Fire app is available through Amazon.com not the Kindle Fire App Store. It won’t work on some Kindle Fires due to Amazon omitting software from some models. The app may appear on Amazon.com, but you might find that you are unable to install it.
2. Click on Sign in and on the Libraries & Groups blue round button. Click in Select Library or Group, start to type Edinburgh and choose Edinburgh Libraries. Enter your library card number (in uppercase letters) and your PIN then click Sign In.
After 30 days you will need to reactivate your free access to PressReader (or it will ask you to pay for publications) - click on Accounts, click on Sign in and repeat the logging in process.
3. Browse for publications by:
● Using the Search Publications, Stories & Interests box at the top of the homepage to look for specific titles and articles
● Selecting the genre buttons such as Newspapers, Magazines or United Kingdom (you can ignore the Free category as all titles are free through library access). If you have selected the Newspaper or Magazine genre you can then use the Countries or Language option buttons to narrow your search
● Looking through the categories list (swipe-able row of category buttons) - choose the News category to access newspapers or the other genres for magazines
● Selecting titles from the various featured titles such as Top Magazines, Recently Read or the scrolling carousel
4. Click on the publication cover and then on Read. The publication will open ready for reading. Downloaded publications are saved on your device until you delete them and can be retrieved from the Downloaded button from the main menu bar. Hold your finger down on a cover and then select the rubbish bin button to delete a publication.
Navigating the newspaper
1. Swipe your finger towards the left to turn the page and spread two fingers on the screen to zoom in for closer reading
2. To read articles in text view rather than in newspaper layout hold your finger down on the title of the article and choose Text View
3. To close the publication, tap on the screen so the top bar appears and use the back button
Access the last three months of publications - click on the current issue and then on the date bar underneath the image. This will launch a calendar - select the date you wish to look at.
You can “bookmark” articles and save them in folders by holding your finger down on the article you want to bookmark and selecting Add Bookmark. Add it to a collection you have already created or click on Create New Collection and then Create. Bookmarks are retrieved from the main menu bar NB. The bookmark facility may not be available on some phones.
To translate publications & articles
Click on the three vertical circles in the top right corner and select Translate and select the language you’d like the article or publication translated into. NB. The translate facility may not be available on some phones.
To listen to publications
Hold your finger on the title of the article and select Listen. Use the play and pause buttons at the bottom of the screen to control play back. Click the Done button in the top left-hand corner to go back to printed version
Printing (Apple devices only)
You can print individual pages or selected areas. Hold your finger down on the title of the article you want to print and select Print. Choose Print in Text or Print in Graphics
If you try to download more than 20 titles in one day it will give you the cost of buying the additional titles. You can stream unlimited titles by switching to reading them at www.pressreader.com