You can use the PressReader app on Apple, Android, Windows or some Kindle Fire mobile devices (tablet, smart phone or app enabled laptop).
1. Install the PressReader app (available from your App Store).
NB. The Kindle Fire app is available through Amazon.com not the Kindle Fire App Store. It won’t work on some Kindle Fires due to Amazon omitting software from some models. The app may appear on Amazon.com, but you might find that you are unable to install it.
2. Click on Sign in and on the Libraries & Groups blue round button (if you have not updated the app, it may appear as a gold card). Click in Select Library or Group, start to type Edinburgh and choose Edinburgh Libraries. Enter your library card number (in uppercase letters) and your PIN then click Sign In.
After 60 days you will need to reactivate your free access to PressReader (or it will ask you to pay for publications) - click on Accounts, click on Sign in and repeat the logging in process.
3. Browse for publications by:
● Using the Search Publications box to look for specific titles
● Selecting the genre buttons such as Newspapers, Magazines or United Kingdom (you can ignore the Free category as all titles are free through library access). If you have selected the Newspaper or Magazine genre you can then use the Countries or Language option buttons to narrow your search
● Looking through the categories list (on the left-hand side on a tablet or click on Categories button at top of the screen on a phone) - choose the News category to access newspapers or the other genres for magazines
● Selecting titles from the various featured titles such as Top Magazines, Recently Read or the scrolling carousel
4. Click on the publication cover and then on Open. The publication will open ready for reading. Downloaded publications are saved on your device until you delete them and can be retrieved from the Downloaded button from the main menu bar. Hold your finger down on a cover and then select the rubbish bin button to delete a publication.
Navigating the newspaper
1. Swipe your finger towards the left to turn the page and spread two fingers on the screen to zoom in for closer reading
2. To read articles in text view rather than in newspaper layout hold your finger down on the title of the article
3. To close the publication, tap on the screen so the main menu button appears, select Publications to choose another title or Downloaded to read one you have already checked out
How to find back copies
Access the last three months of publications - click on the current issue and then on the date bar underneath the image. This will launch a calendar - select the date you wish to look at.
1. To search for topics, open a publication, tap on the screen and tap on the magnifying glass in the top right-hand corner. Choose a previous search or click on Advanced Search NB. The search facility may not be available on phones
2. PressReader will search the last three days publications and display search results on screen. The Advanced Search option will become available on the left-hand side of the screen - click on this to re-run the search using a wider date range
3. Click on Add to My Topics for your search to be run every day and to populate the For You section available from the main menu.
You can “bookmark” articles and save them in folders by holding your finger down on the article you want to bookmark and selecting Save to Collection. Add it to a collection you have already created or click on Create New Collection and then Create. Bookmarks are retrieved from the main menu bar NB. The bookmark facility may not be available on some phones.
To translate publications & articles
Click on the three vertical circles in the top right corner and select Translate and select the language you’d like the article or publication translated into. NB. The translate facility may not be available on some phones.
To listen to publications
Click on the three vertical circles in the top right corner and select Listen. Use the play and pause buttons at the bottom of the screen to control play back. Click the Done button in the top left-hand corner to go back to printed version
Printing (Apple devices only)
You can print individual pages or selected areas. Hold your finger down on the article you want to print and select More and then Print. Choose Print Page or Print Custom Area and then click on the Print button.
If you try to download more than 20 titles in one day it will give you the cost of buying the additional titles. You can stream unlimited titles by switching to reading them at www.pressreader.com