PressReader web version
The web version of PressReader can be used on computers (PC or Mac) that do not have the facility to install apps. It can also be used on older tablets and phones that are not up-to-date enough to install the PressReader app.
1. Go to www.pressreader.com, click on Sign In and then on Library or Group option
2. Click in the Search Libraries and Groups field and start to type Edinburgh, then choose Edinburgh Libraries. Enter your library card number (in uppercase letters) and your PIN. Click to agree to allowing PressReader to verify registration and then click Log In.
4. Click on Select Publication
After 30 days login again to reactivate your free access to PressReader - you will know when you need to do this as it will start asking you to pay for the newspapers. Click on Sign in again and repeat the logging in process.
NB. If you are in a library and connected to library WiFi you will automatically connect to a “HotSpot” so no need to sign in.
1. Browse for publications by:
● Using the magnifying glass icon on the top tool bar to search for specific titles ● Selecting formats such as Newspapers and Magazines. If you have selected the Newspaper or Magazine genre you can then use the Filter button to limit to Country or Language ● Looking through the Categories list - choose the News category to access newspapers or the other genres for magazines
2. Once you have found the publication that you want, click on the cover and click Read now
Navigating the newspaper
1. On a computer click down with the mouse on the right of the page and pull across the screen to the left to scroll through the publication. On a mobile device swipe from right to left to move forward
2. On a computer clicking on the page will zoom you in (don’t click on an article title though). Then click down and drag the page to move you around. On a mobile device, use your fingers to pinch and pull to zoom in
3. You may find it easier to read articles in text view rather than in newspaper layout. To do this click on the title of the article and it will open in text view
How to find back copies
To access the last three months of publications click on the current issue and then on the date button beside the publication cover. This will launch a calendar. Dates in black are available – click on them to open up
1. If you have created an account you can save articles to a collection by hovering over the article title and right-clicking with the mouse or on a mobile device by holding your finger down on the article title
2. Select the Save to Collection link. Either add it to a collection you have already created or click on Create New Collection and then Create
3. These can be retrieved by going to your account button at the top of the screen (your initials) and clicking on My Channel
To translate publications & articles
Hover over the article title and then right-click with the mouse or on a mobile device by holding your finger down on the article title. Choose Translate Article and select the language you’d like the article or publication translated into
To listen to publications
Hover over the article title and then right-click with the mouse or on a mobile device by holding your finger down on the article title. Choose Listen and use the play and pause buttons at the bottom of the screen to control play back. Click the Done button in top left-hand corner to go back to printed version of publication. This service may not be available with all mobile devices
You can print individual pages or selected areas. Hover over the article title and then right-click with the mouse or on a mobile device by holding your finger down on the article title. Choose Print and then one of the printing options and then click on the Print button